Eight Streets Meeting Minutes
January 6, 1999 7:00 8:30 Boston Ballet 5th floor Boardroom
- Update on Action items from Dec Meeting
- Review updated by-laws for vote in Feb
- Review 1998-1999 Budget for vote in Feb
- Review 1998-1999 Goals for vote in Feb.
- Update on Crime Report.
- Other Business
Voting resident members present - 8
Non Voting members 1
Associate members 0
3 new households joined Welcome!
Update on Action items from Dec. Meeting
Completed items from Last meeting
- Contacted Louane to see if she can come to next meeting for crime report.
- Completed update of by-laws
- Completed update of 1998-1999 Budget
- Completed update of 1998-1999 Goals
- Wrote letter to Trudy Coxe (Environmental Affairs) regarding review of 131 Dartmouth Street project.
- Scheduled meeting at Boston Ballet
- City has agreed to put a Stop sign on Shawmut Ave at the corner of Shawmut and Waltham.
Open Action items from Last meeting
- Talk with Mike Kelley to schedule Spring Clean-up (Ken)
- Pursue schedule for lights and trees (Ken)
- Document Street Representative responsibilities, talk to distribution people first and write open letter to SE news to solicit support. (Ken)
- Write letter to Dan Hoffman (BTD) thank you for support of towing and please continue.
Review Updated by-laws for Vote in Feb.
- Handed out updated by-laws. Asked members to review and bring any questions or issues next meeting.
- Reviewed the association mission. Updates will be made and copies distributed.
Update mission; distribute to members via e-mail, copies at next meeting. (Ken)
Need to vote on acceptance of updated by-laws.
Reviewed 1998-1999 Budget for Vote in Feb.
- Handed out updated Budget.
Need to get more members Need 4 Associate members, 8 new individuals/households
Fundraiser budgeted in June to raise $300.00.
Budgeted $300.00 for "mini-grant" program to give back to neighborhood.
Update and make available at next meeting. (Ken)
Need to vote on acceptance of updated budget
Reviewed 1998-1999 Goals for Vote in Feb.
- Handed out proposed goals.
- Reviewed with group. Discussion around adding goal to increase membership. Discussed the need to stay focused and not bite off more then we could do. All agreed to add the new goal.
Update goals, send via e-mail to members and make available at meetings (Ken)
Need to vote on acceptance of goals.
Update on Crime Report
No update, there was not a meeting in December.
Louane will keep us posted.
Other Business -
Updated on Parcel 8
- Ron Johns attended a Parcel 8 (Druker) meeting tonight (1/6).
- About 40 people from neighborhood were present with architects and developer.
- Biggest issues where Traffic, Parking, Loading docks.
- Ground breaking is scheduled for mid to late 1999.
- All studies should be done within 30/60 days
- Motion was made to write letter to Mayor, Jim Kelley expressing our concern.
- Discussion followed about what the letter should say and Eight Streets voice in the bigger picture.
- Motion re-positioned to write a letter to Mayor, Jim Kelley, Andrea DAmato, Executive office of Environmental Affairs expressing our concern regarding the overall traffic plan (or lack there of), show our support to help pull together other associations, ask for city planning and arbitration to determine an overall plan to address traffic. Motion unanimously approved.
Ken and Claudia to write letter.
- Peter Chin brought up a Globe article about a group that monitors water levels in the city to monitor the wood pylons under the houses. There is no monitoring being done in the South End. If the water table falls below the pylons, they could rot and severely damage your home.
Ed Allen will see if he can find out more information regarding this group.
- We discussed the need to get more participation in the association. We will be working on some initiatives to get people involved. Some ideas are as follows:
- Send out mission statement with cover letter asking for help to accomplish tasks.
- Create one page promo and hand out to real-estate offices
- Every member needs to bring a friend
- Hold next meeting without agenda and have an Open issues meeting
- Re-format agenda flyer to change heading, etc.
Create promo page
Send out mission with cover memo
Re-format meeting flyer
Collection for Chester Square and Tex
- Reviewed and e-mail that was sent to south end forum by Chester square taking up donations for Tex. Tex is a store manager and was stabbed and robbed. Chester Square association is taking up donations for him and his family.
- Motion to donate $100 from Eight Streets to Tex and his family. Motion unanimously approved.
Peter Chin to write letter and send check.