Eight Streets Neighborhood Association
Meeting Minutes, 7 July 2004
Greeting & Introductions & Announcements:
- John McLachlan has succeeded Tim Kozlowski as President of Eightstreets. We give a heartfelt thanks to Tim for his 4 years of service as Eightstreets president.
- Project Places has been chosen to develop the BRA Parcel at Washington and East Berkeley
- June SENC minutes can be found here
With Tim resigning from the presidency, and John's 4th term coming to a close in September, Eightstreets needs some new blood. The best focus is to try to re-energize the neighborhood and try to get people more involved. Coincidentally, we saw 3 new faces at this month's meeting.
There were many ideas bounced around during the free-format meeting. Everyone had good ideas, but agreed that without a great cause, people do tend to be complacent. Three areas of involvement were suggested to concentrate on as a way to encourage involvement
- Civic events
People suggested that htere has been such a turnover in Eightstreets that many people do not know about eightstreets, or waht the role of a NA is. (One new face asked why we existed, case in point). In order to present a new fact to the community, the following were suggested
- Contact existing members. Return to a Sept-Sept dues cycle, which allows us to send reminders, letters, maybe even a short newsletter to all existing members. This might remind them we're still around
- Flier all homes 1-2 times a year. We used to do this monthly, and didn't see much benefit. 1-2 times a year might be a nice 'hey, we're here' reminder.
- Generate a neighborhood-wide letter to send in the August-september timeframe.
The letter idea went over well. Topics could include
- Who Eightstreets is, for the new folks.
- General 'we need YOU' message - even though it's a great neighborhood, if we don't keep an eye on things, trouble is always just around the corner.
- Highlight some areas for action - the thought being give people a list of things that need to be done can be more enticing than a general 'we need help' message. This could be simeple things like a ABN representative or a 'socials' coordinator to letting people know that larger issues like trash need to be taken care of by we the neighbors, and not city hall.
Several of the news folks said they would join the mailing list, and the whole NA would converse on these issues during July, and make August a 'plan of attach' meeting.