Eight Streets Neighborhood Association
Meeting Minutes, 1 September 2004
Greeting & Introductions & Announcements:
- Reminder to check out 60th annual volleyball tournament North American Chinese Volleyball Association on September 4-6. Near the Graybar bulding.
- Update on Voting. Next election is September 14, 2004 for the State Primary Election.
- The annual South End Open Studios Tour will be on 18 19 September. South End Open Studios is an opportunity to explore some of the most exciting work being created in the Boston area. It is also the chance to meet those who create the art, explore types of work that are both familiar and new to you and to purchase work directly from the artist.. For more information go to www.useaboston.com
- Reminder about Membership renewals; due Sept 1.
Licensing Issue QingPing Gallery Teahouse (231 Shawmut Ave)
- Representative from QingPing Gallery Teahouse appeared to make a presentation to seek our support for a wine license prior to going to the Boston Licensing Board. Hours would be 3-10PM in the summer and 3-12PM in the fall/winter. The Eight Streets Membership voted to postpone a vote based upon some negative feedback from neighbors in the chinese community. QingPing will be setting up several meetings to be translated in Chinese to directly address their questions and concerns. The vote has tentatively been rescheduled to the October meeting..
- Neighborhood Association is looking for volunteers to help increase our exposure at the following meetings. Anyone interested in attending these meetings should contact John McLachlan for more information.
- Monthy Boston Police D4 meeting to find out what is going on in the neighborhood and to review crime that occurred over the previous month. This is on one Monday per month.
- SE Neighborhood Assocaition This is an association of all the neighborhoods in the south end to discuss issues that cross over all neighborhoods. This meeting occurs the second Wednesday every other month
- Alliance to Bost Neighborhood This association is city wide. www.abnboston.org This occurs 1x per month on Thursdays
- Increasing Membership: Eight Streets needs to promote the neighborhood association to get more people involved. Asking for volunteers to distribute flyers. Please see John McLachlan for more information.
- Time was spent trying to come up with a neighborhood event. Ideas were street fair/blockparty, doing something for a local charity, renting space in the South End Open Market, potluck. Most popular ideas were:
- Block Party/Street Fair in Ringold park. Get neighbors and neighborhood businesses to participate. Set up a table with brochures to spread the word. Might be a nice 'spring cleaning'/yardsale type of event. Looking for volunteers to help with organizing this.
- Expand the Potluck in Berklee Gardens to include the neighborhood. Date: ??
- Noise: There were several members that complained about noise from some of the local establishments that have a liquor or wine/beer license. Members were encouraged to call 911 when noise get too lound.