Eight Streets Neighborhood Association
Meeting Minutes, 6 October 2004
Greeting & Introductions & Announcements:
Zoning Board Appeal 3 Ringold Street
- New Building (residential and retail) to replace Mings Supermarket at the corner of Washington and East Berkeley BRA holding a meeting on October 13, 2004 at 6:30PM in basement of Cathedral of the Holy Cross
- Gail Simon, who presented her business idea of opening a Beer Boutique at the August meeting, has not obtained a space yet. Still seeking the right space in the south end and will keep us apprised.
- Postal Service will soon be doing an advertising blitz on customer satisfaction about service. If you are experiencing any problems, see the flyers that they are sending out which tells you how to report problems.
- Reminder to get out to VOTE on Nov 2 for the Federal Elections. If you have not registered, the deadline to register is October 13. For more information on how to register and elections go to http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleidx.htm.
- Reminder about Voting at monthly ESNA meetings. See FAQ for full details. (insert link to faq)
Licensing Issue QingPing Gallery Teahouse (231 Shawmut Ave)
- Mr. Conrad Ello and Ms Claudia Kianoury are making improvements to their home, including adding an extension to their existing gable to make it a full dormer. The proposed dormer would provide them with an additional 5-6 feet of space on their top floor and they would utilize this space in order to install a bathroom. The proposed change is in the back of their unit and not visible from the streets. Eight Streets Membership voted to not oppose this change [Note: letter to ZBA, CC to Mr Ello and Ms Kianoury 10/8/04]
from QingPing Gallery Teahouse appeared to make a second presentation to seek our support for a wine license prior to going to the Boston Licensing Board. Hours would be 3-10PM in the summer and 3-12PM in the fall/winter. Concerns by some neighbors were heard and addressed. Eight Streets Membership voted to not oppose them going for a wine only license. [Note: letter to Licensing, cc to Mr. Wu Jianxin and Ms. Sarah Morgan]
- Mr. Wu Jianxin and Ms. Sarah Morgan
The Neighborhood Association is looking for volunteers for the following committees and neighborhood meetings. Anyone interested in attending these meetings should contact John McLachlan for more information. email@example.com
- We Need YOU! Volunteer Today!
Trash Committee: looking for members to create a committee to come up with ideas on how we can solve some of the trash issues in the Eight Streets neighborhood. Interested?
Street Fair: looking for members to volunteer to help organize a street fair for the spring. Interested or want more information? Contact Heather Slaby firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monthy Boston Police D4 meeting to find out what is going on in the neighborhood and to review crime that occurred over the previous month. This is on one Monday per month at 6:00
SE Neighborhood Coalition is reforming and will be announcing changes shortly Goal is to have a central neighborhood association to represent the entire South End (Just as there are central neighborhood associations in the Back Bay and Beacon Hill) More information forthcoming.
Alliance to Bost Neighborhood This association is city wide. www.abnboston.org This occurs 1x per month on Thursdays